From ImageWiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Click Here - Home insurance is one of those issues that it is very important to know about because you have certain legal requirements you need to meet - and although not all forms of insurance are a legal obligation, celebrate good sense to have them anyway. This informative article takes a look at what renters and homeowners need to know when it comes to the types of property insurance that they need.

Insurance for homeowners

Should you own your own home then there are two types of home insurance that you'll want: buildings and contents insurance. The most important part of this is the buildings insurance as it is a legal requirement to have this if you own your house. Typically, when you are getting an estimate you will need to enter the rebuild value of your house. This is different to the resale value of your house, so it could be worth double-checking to make sure you currently have the right amount. This will then be employed to calculate your insurance quote.

Additionally it is important for homeowners to obtain contents insurance as this is what covers everything at your residence, whereas buildings cover typically covers just the structure of your house and then for any outbuildings that you might have also. This means it is important to be aware of value of all of your possessions since this amount will be used when calculating your contents insurance quote.

Enter Zip Code to Save - It is also worth checking whether you might be able to save money by taking out joint buildings and contents cover, as sometimes insurance agencies offer deals that can help you get good value for money. It is also good practice to check exactly what is covered by your policy and to take out additional insurance for just about any particularly valuable items (such as jewellery) to make sure you have adequate cover.

Insurance for renters

Should you rent your home then your rules of property insurance will be slightly different for you personally. This is because it is your landlord's responsibility as the owner of the property to get buildings insurance. Once you move into a new rented property, it's really a good idea to ask them what buildings cover they have got so you can be certain you will be protected in the event of a fireplace or other emergency.

Save Now - However, renters will still have to take out contents cover for their property as it is generally not the landlord's responsibility to provide this. Also, some rented properties come with some of the landlord's property inside them; this is doubly important to insure properly, or else you could find yourself paying out for items that aren't yours in case of them being stolen or damaged. Even when your landlord has separate insurance for his or her own possessions, it is still worth taking out comprehensive contents insurance on your own so you can have peace of mind that everything is cared for.


Overall, home insurance for renters and homeowners isn't too complicated but it might require a bit of research to get the most appropriate insurance for your needs, and that you are protected by the right level of cover.

Personal tools